Crimson Will Play B.U. Next Year To Renew 20 Year Old Grid Rivalry

Harvard will resume a traditional football rivalry against Boston University next season for the first time in 20 years.

Renewal of the rivalry, which first began in 1921, was announced by the Harvard Department of Athletics last week. Harvard's record against the Terriers is 4-0. The Crimson won the last game, 19-14, in 1947.

B.U. will have 20 top lettermen returning from this year's team which its Sports Director, Arthur L. Dumphy, calls the best in 12 years. There will be only one new starter on the offensive unit that scored 102 points in winning its last three games.

The Terriers will also have a two-game edge in experience on the Crimson going into the contest. Harvard's only preparation will be hapless Lafayette, while B.U. must first meet Bucknell, Colgate and Temple.

One reason for including Boston University in the 1967 schedule is the change in the school's scholarship program. Four years ago, B.U. adopted the Ivy League system of financial aid based strictly on family need.

Dumphy pointed out, that until recently the Terriers had "stars in their eyes" in selecting football opponents. "In years like 1953, when we lost to number-one ranked Maryland, 14-13, no one even considered playing Harvard," he said.

The Crimson, who try to schedule at least one preseason game with an area school each year, will play B.U. again in 1969. Holy Cross and Bucknell will be Harvard's 1968 pre-season opponents.

Leading the Terriers next season will be quarterback Tom Thornton, one of the best backs in the East. Thornton gained 1007 yards passing this year, and he is already the second best passer in B.U. history. Fullback--Roger Rosinski, who gained over 500 yards, is also returning.

B.U. has had more than a dozen players sign pro football contracts in the past five years. The 1963 team gave the AFL Butch Byrd, All-Pro defensive back for the Buffalo Bills, and Bill Budness, star linebacker of the San Diego Chargers.

Harvard's Junior Varsity played B.U. twice this season. They lost to the Junior Varsity, 28-22, but beat the Freshmen, 17-0. 1967 Football Schedule Sept. 30  Lafayette Oct. 7  Boston University Oct. 14  Columbia Oct. 21  at Cornell Oct. 28  Dartmouth Nov. 4  at Pennsylvania Nov. 11  Princeton Nov. 18  at Brown Nov. 25  at Yale