300 Return to '16 Reunion; Pusey, Fainsod to Preside At Baccalaureate Today

The Class of 1916 moved into Dunster House yesterday and proved that indeed, as one of them said, they "had fewer millionaires but much longer life expectancy than other Harvard classes." They were a pretty lively group.

They were shocked that the College had provided bell hope for them; but most of the class willingly surrendered their luggage to the undergraduate porters, and then negotiated to have breakfast delivered to them in bed.

The 50th reunion class -- 300 alumni, wives, and widows -- then went on to talk about their banks in St. Joseph, Mo., their grandchildren at school in Concord, their own longevity, and how they took up tennis at age 52 to stay fit.

Some allowed themselves to be chauffeured to lunch at Kresge, but many crossed Weeks Bridge by foot and lingered to watch the expanse of Harvard real estate, from the Married Students Dorms to Eliot House.

While a 1916 football player pounded a 1916 coxswain on the back, the 25th reunion class was finding out what had happened to the College in its absence. William G. Perry, director of the Bureau of Study Counsel, Dean Ford, and Dean Glimp led a discussion of "Harvard College Today," which was followed by tours of the University's newest buildings.

Many expressed satisfaction with the way they place looks, but some didn't know whether they liked having girls around. "Too many women are too sharp today," one alumnus explained. "They wear spurs."

Last night was Class of 1941 right at the Boston Pops. The reunioners demonstrated that they are right-thinking Harvard liberals by hissing and clapping whenever playful Arthur Fielder played a few bars of "The Green Berets."

Today the Class of 1941 will be shuttled off to the Essey Country Club, while the rest of the University settles down for the Phi Beta Kappa literary exercises and the Baccalaureate services for Harvard and Radcliffe seniors.

The Harvard chapter of Phi Beta Kappa will elect new members -- both undergraduate and honorary--and new officers at 9:30 a.m. today, and then adjourn to the literary exercises at 11 a.m. in Sanders Theatre.

Members will march from the elections in Harvard Hall to the Theatre, led by the traditional fife and drum. The poet will be Adrienne Rich '51, and the Orator will be Douglas Bush, Gurney Professor of English Literature.

Radcliffe seniors will attend a Baccalaureate service at 2 p.m. in Memorial Church. Merle Fainsod, Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor, will deliver the Baccalaureate address.

At 4:15 p.m., Harvard seniors will have their segregated service in Memorial Church, with President Pusey presiding and Charles P. Price '41, Preacher to the University, conducting the service.