Class of 1916 Watched As Lowell Rapidly Changed the University

By Paul J. Corkery

During their four years here the members of the Class of 1916 witnessed the creation of a modern Harvard and a modern world.

Under the direction of President a. Lawrence Lowell '77, Harvard began to transform itself from a provincial to a national unversity and as the members of the Class of 1916 registered as freshmen in September, 1912 the signs of Lowell's administration were evident.

All of the books in Gore Hall, the old College library, were being moved to Massachusetts Hall and Randall Hall for storage during the construction of the multi-million volume Harry Elkins Widener Library. And in October contractors demolished a number of old buildings along Boylston St. and the Charles River to make room for four freshmen dormitories. A few alumni felt that the dormitories, which would be equipped with their own dining rooms and common rooms, would stifle what they called "Harvard Individuality."

They, of course, preferred the existing system which left housing and eating arrangements to the individual students. The College maintained only a few dormitories--those in the Yard which were primarily for seniors, and there were only one or two others around Harvard Square. Students took their meals either in clubs or restaurants. The Union and Memorial Hall were the largest of the eating associations. Memorial which allowed its members to organize themselves into club tables provided weekly board for $5.25. Two of the more popular restaurants were the Epicure Dining Room and Holt's Cafeteria, both on Dunster St.

Presidential Politics

While the CRIMSON warned the freshmen to avoid "class politics," it also remarked that "it is one of the prime duties of every college man to become well versed in the great questions confronting this nation today and by so doing to fit himself to meet those questions squarely." Shortly afterwards committees were formed to work for the three major presidntial candidates, President Taft, Theodore Roosevelt '80 and Governor Woodrow Wilson.

A College-wide straw ballot gave Woodrow Wilson 920 votes, Theodore Roosevelt 739 and President Taft 732. On election night students gathered in which received them from a Naval Broadcasting station.

Grays 10 to hear the election results broadcast by the Harvard Wireless Club

The Freshman football team under Captain Edward W. Mahan ended a 7-0-0 season by defeating Yale 18 to 17 on Saturday, November 16, 1912. The CRIMSON said "the game will be remembered for the remarkable recovery of the Freshmen and their victory in the face of almost impossible odds. It was an uphill game from start to finish."

The New Haven Railroad ran the "Harvard Limited" and the Boston and Albany ran the "Crimson Special" to carry students down to New Haven for the varsity football game which Harvard won 20 to 0.

A survey of American colleges and universities failed to reveal whether or not Harvard was second best then also, but it indicated that Harvard, with a total enrollment of 4187, was the fifth largest university in America. Columbia's enrollment of 10,000 made it the largest. Yale was eleventh.

Christmas on Quincy St.

On Christmas Eve President Lowell opened his new house on Quincy St. with a reception for students who were staying in Cambridge over the Christmas holidays. Harvard's Christmas vacation extended from only December 23 to January 2, which was apparently enough time for most students to travel to their homes. But Lowell enacted his policy of nationalization quickly, and soon many more students were travelling further and further to come to Harvard. Christmas 1912 was the last year in which there were no complaints about the brevity of the recess.

In January the Federation of Harvard Territorial Clubs took up offices in the Union. The federation was made up of the Harvard Clubs of Minnesota, Pennsylvania. The Cotton Belt States, Brooklyn, Buffalo and Chicago. Lowell asked the assistance of the clubs in bringing "men from all over the country to Harvard and to take Harvard to them." Lowell outlined a new entrance examination designed to make Harvard more acessible to public school students from the south and west, and a Harvard Club scholarship program to make attendence at Harvard feasible for many more deserving students.

Widener and HUP

Within a week of the groundbreaking for the Widener Library the creation of the Harvard University Press for the purpose of publishing works of "high scholarly standards" was announced. But just as Harvard's attempts to distinguish itself further as a university were getting into high gear, discussions on other matters which would become as important were just beginning.

Maj. General Leonard Wood, chief of staff under President Theodore Roosevelt, had come to Harvard in the fall and urged that an adequate military reserve be maintained. The possibility of creating summer training camps was raised and in February, 1913 representatives of the Navy discussed the suggestion at the Union. Both proposals had the endorsement of President Lowell and were applauded in the CRIMSON. But, at the time, there was little reason for students to be preoccupied with these ideas, and most of the intramural debate that winter was concerned with the question of making hockey a major sport.

Shortly before final exams, the War Department announced that it would maintain summer training camps at Gettysburg, Pa., and Monterey, Calif. Apparently there were no salaries, but the CRIMSON announced that expenses would be light and recommended the camps for those who did not have summer plans.

Business As Usual

When the College re-opened in September 1913 the CRIMSON conducted a small debate over the value of business administration courses, which an alumnus had urged Harvard to offer. But in November this was replaced with pleas to President Lowell to lengthen the Christmas recess. And University officials announced that the Class of 1917 was the first Harvard class in which the number of students who prepared at public schools outnumbered those who prepared at private schools.

In July, 1914 the Henley Regatta Grand Challenge Cup was won for the first time by an American crew. Six members of the class of 1916, C.C. Lund, D.P. Morgan, J.W. Middendorf, H.S. Middendorf, J.C Talcott and H.L.F. Kreger were in that crew.

The war in Europe changed the tone of the editorials in the CRIMSON. They became more concerned with America's position in the world and less concerned with the cheering sections at football games. But the manner in which the football team dedicated Yale Bowl by defeating the Elis 36-0 was no small story.

President Lowell opened the new freshmen dormitories in September, 1914, and plans to create a University regiment received his endorsement. On Commencement Day, 1915, the first step of Lowell's plan to add to Harvard's greatness was completed when Widener Library was dedicated.

A year later, as the members of the Class of 1916 returned as seniors, Lowell extended the Christmas vacation. Hoping to make Harvard even more accessible to southerners and westerners he entrusted the administration of entrance exams to the College Entrance Board, the precursor of today's College Entrance Examination Board.

The CRIMSON under the direction of R. H. Stiles, Dwight Ingram and Francis G.C. O'Neil moved into its new building on Plympton St. on Friday, November 19, 1915. On the next, day Captain Edward W. Mahan had the finest day of his football career as he scored four touchdowns to help Harvard defeat 41-0.

In January 1916., 1100 students volunteered for the University regiment which was drilled by a Boston recruiting officer Captain Cordelier. A straw ballot the Spring revealed the changed atmosphere of the College. Theodore Roosevelt defeated President Wilson.

On June 22, 1916 the members of Class of 1916 received their degrees the Stadium on Soldiers Field. Belong some of them like George A. Kinlock would be in Europe.