Kennedy Institute Alters Guest Associate Format

By W. BRUCE Springer

The Kennedy Institute's honorary associates this term, including Michigan Governor George Romney and New York Mayor John Lindsay, will each be turned over to one or two Houses for part of their visit.

The Masters and Senior Tutors of the Houses to which each associate is assigned will select groups of House members to meet with him. The meetings will be closed to students outside the chosen Houses--except for a few who will be nominated by their Senior Tutors.

The associates' stay in the Houses will be their major contact with undergraduates during their three-day visits. Some, however, will also talk to undergraduate political organizations and seminars.

The new procedure will begin with the visit next week of the Institute's fifth honorary associate, Lee White, chairman of the Federal Power Commission. White has been assigned to North House for dinner Sunday, and Winthrop House for breakfast and lunch Monday.

Unexciting, Unproductive

The Institute is trying the new system because some past honorary associates have complained that their meetings with undergraduates, selected at random by their senior tutors, have been unexciting and unproductive.

Institute officials hope that by limiting participation in meetings mainly to members of one House they will create a more informal, familiar atmosphere and get better discussions, Barney Frank '62, special assistant to the director of the Institute, said yesterday.

Frank explained that every House will be given part of the time of at least one of the remaining associates. He said that he isn't worried about some Houses getting more glamourous associates, such as Lindsay and Romney, because "it's the intellectual capacity, not the headline power, which counts in these meetings--and they all have plenty of that."