Harvard's Golfers Edge Pennsylvania, Columbia

The Harvard golf team played erratically yesterday, but managed to edge both Columbia and Penn by 4-3 scores at the Rockland Country Club in Sparkill, N.Y., Columbia's home course.

The two victories gave Coach Cooney Weiland's golfers a chance to forget Thursday's demoralizing loss to Holy Cross, which had broken a four-match winning streak.

Following a week of little practice, Harvard's men of the links either played very well or very poorly yesterday. Bo Keefe, the number two man and the team's most consistent player so far, was most impressive, shooting a 73, two over par. That was good enough to wallop George Dent of Columbia, 5 and 4, and Tom Lindenfield of Penn, 5 and 3.

It was a different kind of day for sophomore Bruce LoPucki, playing number one. His long, powerful game could never get untracked yesterday, and he soared to a 91, losing 7-6 to Penn and 1-down to Columbia.

Both of Wynne's matches were decided by one hole, as he lost 1-down to Columbia and edged Penn, 1-up.

Captain Brain MeGuinn shot even par golf on the front line, and nailed down two wins at his number four slot. MeGuinn, who failed to qualify for the Navy match two weeks ago, has shown marked improvement since then, and seems ready to challenge the top three men.

Bob Sinclair, playing number five yesterday, fired an excellent 76, just four over par. A strong putter, the lanky senior overpowered his opponents by 4 and 2.

The long trip and lack of practice apparently bothered Roger Wales, at number six, who lost both of his matches. Sophomores Paul Oldfield (no.3) and Tom Wynne (no.7) split their two contests. Oldfield, playing erratically, dropped a 1-down decision to Penn, but his Columbia opponent really had a bad day and lost, 3 and 2.