Baker Sets Record in K.C. Meet

By Mark R. Rasmuson

Harvard's most prolific record-breaker, Jim Baker, did it again Saturday night, running the fastest indoor mile in Harvard history in the Knights of Columbus annual meet at Boston Garden.

Baker crossed the finish line at 4:05.9, bettering his best previous time, recorded only a month ago against Army, by four seconds and erasing the varsity indoor record of 4:07.0 set in 1962.

The swift senior, who has shattered four Harvard records so far this season, set his newest mark running in the K.C. meet's O'Reilly Mile against the likes of Sweden's UIf Hoeberg, who won the race and set Meet and Garden records with his 4:02.3, and Villanova's Dave Patrick, IC4A and NCAA titlist. Both have run sub-four minute miles. Baker's time was only good enough for a fifth place finish.

Hoeberg and Baker, close on his heels, led the talent-studded pack for the whole race. But soon after the two-lap sign was flashed, Baker's pace began to flag, and three runners passed him before the finish.

Harvard's only win in the meet came in the two-mile relay. Jeff Huvelle, Dave McKelvey, Trey Burns, and Roy Shaw pounded around the course in 7:34.4, edging out Holy Cross and Fordham, who set the meet record in the event last year.

McKelvey had earlier placed third in a special 500-yard run.

Two other Harvard records fell in the Garden Saturday night. Freshman weightman Ed Nosal, competing against varsity athletes, hurled the 35-pounder 56' 6 3/4" for a fourth-place finish and a new freshman indoor mark. Yardling miler Bob Enscoe trimmed 13 seconds off his best time to date and a second and a half off the freshman record in running 4:13.9 to a third place finish in the New England mile.

Other Crimson trackmen placing well in the K.C. meet were Charlie Ajootian and Bruce Hedendal, second and fifth respectively in the shot put, and Noel Hare, third in the broad jump.

Harvard meets Northeastern tomorrow.