Peace Rally Ticket Sales Fail to Reach Stated Goal

The Boston Garden Rally for peace candidates, slated for Friday, is far behind in ticket sales.

Arnold J. Miller, organizer of Boston's "11 Votes for Peace," said that the group had sold 5000 tickets--only a third of the Garden's capacity--as of last Friday. About 500 tickets have been sold in the Harvard community, Patrick E. Shipstead '71, a leader of the Harvard group, said yesterday.

Miller, a former Harvard graduate student, said he is a "little bit worried, frankly," that ticket sales will not meet the $125,000 goal of the rally. Expenses will amount to $20,000, including $12,000 needed to pay for the Garden, according to Ira A Jackson '69, one of the group's members.

Information on the total amount of funds collected has not been compiled yet, Miller said. About $9000 has actually come in from Harvard-Radcliffe mail orders, Treasurer Allan B. Taylor '70 stated. Shipstead said that this figure is "a little high."

Poor Faculty

The Faculty response has been particularly poor, Jackson said. Although the organization has circulated $1000 worth of tickets to the Faculty, only $450 worth have been sold, he stated.

"People are so disillusioned," Miss Renee D. Chotiner '70 explained. "They are not aware of the urgency of the issue and are not giving adequate weight to the possibility for constructive action," she stated.

Date Bait

Shipstead said that the "word from Radeliffe is that they're waiting for dates, rather than putting up the money." Other workers said they blame the general apathy of the Harvard community.

The group has also had problems in providing popular entertainers. Ken Tigar, member of "The Proposition," will perform his "Nixon Acceptance Speech" skit. Tom Lehrer and Peter, Paul, and Mary, due to prior commitments, will not appear, Miller said. Members of the group had said they expected they would entertain.

Those who will definitely appear on Friday are Senator Eugene J. McCarthy (D-Minn.); Paul O'Dwyer, Democratic senatorial candidate in New York; John Gilligan, Democratic senatorial candidate in Ohio; and Richard Goodwin, speech- writer for McCarthy.