Yardlings Top Andys, Take Second in Row

The Harvard freshman hockey team exploded for three goals in the last period to sink a rough Andover squad, 5-3, yesterday in Watson Rink. Center Joe Cavanagh chalked up three assists to remain the top Yardling scorer.

Harvard found itself fighting for its life in the close-checking third period with the score knotted at 2-2. The pressing Andover offense continually outskated the Crimson until defenseman Terry Driscoll broke the game open with a goal at 7:00. Cavanagh and forward Paul Perkins had assists on the play.

Harvard's final mark came at 9:38, as forward John Alessandroni snared a rebound off the Andover net-minder's pad and tipped it in.

Andover was never out of the game 'til the final buzzer, and registered with less than four minutes to go. Dennis Sullivan scored on a power play in a vain comeback effort.

Playing primarily a defensive game because of injuries to regular team members, Harvard never really seized the initiative as it had in previous outings. It allowed the bigger Andover team to score with only one minute gone in the first period, but finally hit twice to take the lead by the end of the frame. Forwards Ford Fraker and Dan DeMichele scored for the Crimson.

During the second frame, the smooth-passing Blue and White held Harvard scoreless. Combining speed and finesse, they hit at 0:20 and outshot the Crimson, 11-7. The game remained deadlocked until Harvard's outburst in the last frame.