Crimson Five Bows to Brown, 66-60; Wilson's Final Home Contest Tonight

If Harvard basketball were a fairy tale then last night's game against Brown at the IAB--Floyd Wilson's third-to-last as coach--would have ended with the Crimson on the long end of the final 66-60 score. But Harvard basketball is not a fairy tale.

Before a small crowd--surprising in light of the evening's obvious sentimental attractions--Brown held off a furious Harvard counter-attack in the closing minutes to climb out of the Ivy cellar.

It was sad in many ways. First, of course, there was sorrow for Wilson. He spent an uncomfortable squirming night as his cast played out a script already indelibly inscribed on the minds of the infamous Society.

Harvard shot coldly in the first half as is its wont. Only Jeff Grate's incredible bombing kept the Crimson in the game. The 6-0 senior who burst on the scene two years ago with great promise finally began to find the basket after a disappointing season.

Shooting from long range Grate hit four field goals and played a tight defense on the Bruins leading scorer, Billy Reynolds. Reynolds made only one goal in the first-half.

At the half, Brown led by a point, 35-34, on a last second basket by 5-8 guard Rick Landau. Harvard had trailed most of the period with the biggest Bruin lead being 6 with eight minutes left in the half. But Chris Gallagher, Grate, and Bob Kanuth (on a pass from Bobby Johnson) all scored to bring Harvard back into the game and the teams traded points until the buzzer.

Unfortunately Harvard did another familiar thing at the start of the second half. The Crimson went stone cold, scoring only five points in eight minutes.

Working Loose

With Reynolds finally working loose, Brown took advantage and galloped to an 11-point edge twelve minutes from the end. The 6-2 senior scored nine of Brown's first 15 on two jumpers and two fast breaks.

Harvard was sluggish, so Wilson inserted his youngbloods -- sophomores Jerry O'Neil, Ernie Hardy, and junior Johnson. It was a smart move. After about five minutes of frustratingly sloppy ball-handling and shooting, Hardy began to clear the boards. Johnson moved the ball, and O'Neil heated up his gun.

O'Neil hit three quick jumpers from outside. Captain Bobby Beller dropped a 15-footer and two free throws. Hardy dropped a nine footer off a Johnson pass and Harvard was within six. The teams traded hoops for two minutes bringing the score to 60-53 with 3:53 left.

Bomb

Johnson scored a free throw, O'Neil tossed in another turn around, and then a bomb from the right corner. Brown led 60-58.

Then came the decisive play of the evening. Harvard stole the ball but missed the shot and the Bruins' Greg Donaldson brought the ball up court. Pressed by Eric Gustavson he lost the ball toward the sideline. In the ensuing scramble the referee called a foul on Gustavson.

It was not a popular decision. But Donaldson cooly sank both free throws in a one-and-one situation, icing the game.

Harvard plays Yale in Wilson's last home game tonight at 8 p.m. in the IAB. Harvard  Pts  Brown  Pts Kanuth  11  Landau  16 Gallagher  6  Reynolds  18 Waickowski  4  Piurvis  8 Gustavson  6  Moger  7 Grate  8  Sigur  0 Beller  8  Stankovic  4 Johnson  2 Hardy  5 O'Neil  10 Norlander  0