Mungo Refuses Induction

RAYMOND MUNGO, a first-year graduate student in English, stands outside the Selective Service Induction Center at the Boston Army Base after he refused to report for induction yesterday.

Supportd by 600 persons at the Base, the former editor of the Boston University News drew cheers from the crowd when he did not enter the base gate with the 12 other inductees who had ridden down from the draft board in Lawrence.

Mungo, who now lists his address as Washington, D.C., is the founder and editor of the Liberation News Service, an organization he claims has over four million readers but no money.

Last September Mungo flew to Czechoslavakia for a secret meeting with representatives of Communist North Vietnam and the Viet Cong. When he returned, he claimed that he had "established firm connections with the so-called enemies of our country."

Mungo led the demonstrators across the Boston Common to Arlington Street Church, where the crowd disbanded after he ripped up his induction notice.

Last year, Mungo caused a commotion at Boston University when his newspaper called for the impeachment of President Johnson in an editorial.

Mungo had earlier promised a "gay" demonstration, a "very yes sort of thing" for the protestors. Plans for a free breakfast and a live rock band fizzled. Still, a good time was had by all.