Cyclists Treated to Busses From Wellesley Belles

By William R. Galeota

Thirty-three bicyclists pumped and wheezed 12.8 miles to a nearby women's college yesterday in the 27th annual Harvard-Wellesley bike race. Seven faint hearts dropped out on the way.

The winner--Ronald L. Wallenfang 2L--crossed the finish line in an adjusted time of 38 minutes, 1.9 seconds, riding a standard bike dubbed "The Old Nixon." Seconds after finishing, Wallenfang gasped "I'm sorry I forgot my Nixon button," then recovered his breath and added "I'm glad I won; I can use the new bike."

Harold S. Tzeutschler, an Ed School student, came in second in 41:05 on another standard bicycle. The first racing bike, ridden by Martin E. Zeller '68, broke the tape in 41:15. He was followed by Robert A. Buster '69 in 41:22.

"Odyssey of Our Time"

The bicyclists were set on their way by a starter with a flowing Edwardian tie; a grand marshall with a cane greeted them at the finish line. In between, they raced Porsches on Soldiers Field Road, startled little girls in Newton Corner, and fought their way along infamous Route 16. "The Odyssey of our time," John H. Finley Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House, is said to have remarked.

Despite pre-race speculation, none of the contestants quit the race near Martinelli's. But when they reached their grassy destination, they sucked oranges or drank unknown beverages transported in thermos bottles attached to their bi- cycles.

One of the Harvard Outing Club officials called for his Wellesley counterpart to come to the front of the crowd of tired racers. "Your services will be cheerfully rendered, I presume," he said to her. She smiled, and gave each of the top four finishers the traditional kiss on the cheek