Northeastern President to See Students on Demands; Sit-in Off

By Robert M. Krim

Northeastern University President Asa S. Knowles has agreed to meet with moderate and radical student leaders this afternoon about student demands made last week.

Knowles reportedly has already agreed to two minor demands of the thirteen made last Friday by the Student Concern Committee (SCC), a coalition of liberal and radical students.

In the wake of Knowles' concessions and a broadening of the SCC-base through rallies and mass meetings all this week, the SCC Steering Committee has scrapped its plan to take over Richards Hall (the administration building) late this afternoon.

The SCC began as a radical coalition of student council dissidents, SDS, and the Afro-American Society last week, but it has changed tenor in the past few days. The N.U. Society of American Mechanical Engineers, a group of usually apolitical engineers, joined the SCC today. Student leaders consider the endorsement especially significant at N.U. because it has a large engineering school.

For the past two days and nights, rallies and large planning meetings, encompassing many moderates as well as radicals, have brought the downtown Boston campus "to a new stage of political consciousness" as one student council leader said last night.

"Where we got in trouble," said Steven W. Shulman, a SCC Steering Committee member, "is when we opened the Committee to the whole school; the radicals lost control."

"We won't have a strike," Shulman continued, "but we have the first real dialogue on student problems in Northeastern history. And the student consciousness is growing. . . .We may have something big in the near future."