'Harvard' Firm Prints Disclaimer

Harvard Executive Research Center, while appealing an injunction for misusing the name "Harvard," has begun inserting disclaimers in its advertising.

The firm, which advertises frequently in the Wall Street Journal, now places an asterisk next to the word "Harvard" referring to a footnote which says "We are not connected with Harvard University."

J.J. Kuscher, president of the 11-year-old firm, said that the footnote has been included in all advertising "since a week ago." He said that the change was made as a direct result of the court action.

Chairman of the firm, Arthur M. Shain '40, keeps his Harvard Business School diploma on the wall of his office, as do some other Business School alumni in the firm. Shain's Harvard yearbook is kept on the office receptionist's desk, according to Kuscher.

L. Gard Wiggins, vice-president of the University, said yesterday that the University used to be more lax about the use of its name, but has become stricter in recent years. He assured, however, that no action is contemplated against the many firms in the Harvard Square area using Harvard's name.

The Harvard Corporation sued for an injunction against the Research Center under the New York's General Business Law. The injunction was granted over a week ago, on December 30.