Belli Says Pornography Is 'Okay'

"If it makes you horny, then it's okay if it has compelling social justification," Melyin Belli, the West Coast lawyer who defended Jack Ruby, said about pornography last night.

Belli told 200 people at the Harvard Law School Forum in Ames Courtroom that "We all come from the vaginal canal but after we become aware of it, it becomes a taboo subject."

He said that if the Burger court limits pornography then it will probably rule conservatively on all other issues on the docket.

Belli, wearing boots, wire-rim glasses, and flared pants, criticized the politicians who use law and order as a campaign issue. "Law and order isn't what I believe in at all. I believe in due process of law," he said.

Belli spoke about the revolution in law. He said he hopes that it will bring "law into the context of the community."

Belli explained that one of the main obstacles to the success of the revolution is the over-loaded court docket. "We must unclog the court calendars in order to bring the law to the people," he said.

He attributed the success of the law revolution to the young graduates of law school. He said that young lawyers "are more concerned with people than with academics. They aren't looking for jobs with Wall Street firms."