Swordsmen Face Brandeis In an Easy Match Tonight

By Martin R. Garay

After losing its third successive Ivy League match the varsity fencing team travels to Brandies University tonight for its seventh New England contest. The Crimson holds a 5-1 record against teams outside of New York and the Ivy League.

The Crimson has yet to beat a New York team or win an Ivy League match.

Saturday's loss to Princeton nearly eliminates Harvard's chances of finishing higher than third place in the Ivy League race. Earlier in the year coach Edo Marion had hoped that the Crimson could have taken first, but Geza Tatrallay's leave of absence, the loss of Tom Keller for the first half of the season, and of John Reitz for two months left the lineup very weak when it needed crucial performances at the foil and the epee.

While the match against the Tigers was disappointing, the strong performances of Keller and Reitz in their weapons gave the Crimson some additional power. It is possible that Harvard could sweep its last three matches, starting with the one tonight and finish the season with an 8-6 dual meet record.

Brandeis should provide no real trouble tonight since its fencing program compares to that of. Trinity College Both Trinity and Brandeis battled it out in a 14-13 match recently. The Crimson disposed of Trinity with a 20-7 win. So the only way Harvard could lose tonight is if it should forget its weapons and would have to resort to rolled newspapers.

Larry Cetrulo, who rolled to three more victories against Princeton, may get a chance to win only two tonight. Coach Marion will take him out if the Crimson is doing well against the Judges.

Rounding It Out

Rick Tolbert and Pat Pugliese will round out the saber team. Keller will be joined by captain Cliff Ruderman and Phil Rappaport at the foil. Reitz, Mark Irvings-who fenced rather well in the third round against Princeton, crushing his opponent 5-1 for his second victory and Paul Vitta will start at the epee.