Faculty Agrees To Grant Offner His M. A. Degree

By C. R. S.

Carl D. Offner '64-the graduate student in Mathematics dismissed last June for his participation in the occupation of University Hall and subsequently refused his master's degree by the Faculty-will finally be awarded the degree.

Offner's name had been singled out of a list of degree candidates during a closed meeting of the Faculty last February-reportedly on objections by Dean May that undergraduates under disciplinary sanctions have not been allowed to graduate. The issue was then turned over to the Faculty Council.

Unanimously Endorsed

J. Peterson Elder, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), said yesterday that the GSAS Administrative Board had voted 9-0 to keep Offner's name on the list, with the unanimous endorsement of the Faculty Council.

At the same time, Elder proposed to the Faculty that a student must be in good standing to be eligible for a degree, and "that individuals not registered but candidates for degrees, who have committed offenses meriting discipline, are subject for suspension for candidacyfor a degree."

The first part of Elder's motion, referring to registered students passed by a 127-66 vote. The second part was tabled for rewriting, generally on the grounds that it was vaguely worded.

Speaking against the motion. George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology, said. "I do not think the awarding of a degree should be considered in the light of either a prize or punishment. The University should not under any circumstances withhold a degree if the requirements are fulfilled."

Anti-Leftist Weapon

Frederick P. Gardiner, assistant professor of Mathematics, charged that the approval of Elder's motion by the Faculty Council was based on a compromise the granting of Offner's degree. "This motion introduces non-academic criteria for awarding degrees, and adds another weapon to the arsenal of punishment against leftist activities." Gardiner said.

James Q. Wlison, professor of Government, denied that there had been any spirit of compromise or bargaining in the Faculty Council's deliberations. "Disciplinary actions are handed out for behavior, regardless of the ideological view." he said.

"Of course it was a bargain," Offner said last night. "Of course they say it wasn't. There isn't any war in Southeast Asia either."

Offner had applied for his degree last Fall, and the Mathematics Department voted unanimously to nominate him for the M. A. The GSAS Administrative Board at that time concurred, 7-3.

Offner had completed his Ph. D. course requirements before he was dismissed, but had not finished his thesis.

Because of Dean May's objection, the Faculty turned the question over to Faculty Council, John T. Tate, chairman of the Mathematics Department, said after that meeting, "According to the rules, Offner had earned his degree, and I certainly hoped that Dean May's motion would be defeated."

At yesterday's meeting. Tate objected to Elder's proposal, saying. "Why do we need it? It seems better not to clutter the books with special Faculty votes."