Booters Remain Tops In Region With 5-2 Victory Over Jumbos

By M. DEACON Dake

Striking for three quick goals in the third period, Harvard's soccer team broke open a close, 1-0 game and coasted to a 5-2 victory at Tufts to maintain its number one ranking in New England.

To the delight of 4500 fans at Alumni Field, the pesky Jumbos, rated second in New England, stayed close to Harvard for two well-played quarters. The only difference came on a classic shot to the top left corner of the net by the Crimson's Russ Bell, who took a pass just outside the penalty area from Chris Papagianis.

Even though Harvard pulled away in the third period, game statistics revealed the game was much closer than the final margin indicates. The Crimson held a slim 26-25 advantage in shots on goal and Harvard goalie Shep Messing was forced to make 16 saves.

"(Phil) Kydes was the key to the game, he really knows how to move and control the ball." Tufts coach Herbert Erickson said. "But Messing played a great game too. We really tested him on at least 10 shots and he came through with some super saves."

Thirty seconds after intermission, Felix Adedeji hit the post with a shot. Kydes picked the rebound out of the air and headed into the nets. Charlie Thomas, with his leg injury almost healed, picked up his first goal of the season shortly before Papagianis scored on a shot from a pileup in front of the nets, to finish the three goal spurt.

"We with out a doubt played out best soccer of the season in the third period," Papagianis said. "It was so beautiful, Tufts just stood back and watched us move."

"Their ball control game was on in that quarter," Erickson said. "You know, if they settle down and play their game I don't see how any team can beat them, but, the impression I got today is that they might panic in the clutch."

Harvard's final goal came with one second remaining in the game when a Crimson shot ricocheted off Papagianis into the net.