Russell Seeks Ballot Recount

Cambridge City Council candidate Leonard J. Russell yesterday demanded a recount of last Tuesday's election ballots, challenging the election of Francis H. Duehey '55 by a 43-vote margin.

Russell, an independent, ran tenth behind Duehey, a Cambridge Civic Association (CCA) endorsed candidate.

"I want to win a seat," Russell said. "But I also feel it is for the best interests of the citizens of Cambridge to show the defects of proportional voting and vote-counting." Russell did not elaborate on the nature of the defects.

The petition for recount is Russell's second in as many elections. Although the recount in his last council race was unsuccessful, an upset in this recount would give Russell a seat--and give the conservatives a majority on the council. Tuesday's election gave the reform minded CCA a one-vote majority.

The election commission recount will take about three days. The city will pay for the recount. Russell said he expects recount results will "justify the expenditure."

Early returns last week indicated a comfortable lead for Duehey. With the redistribution of votes under the proportional system, however, Russell cut heavily into Duehey's margin, gaining sufficient momentum to provide a close challenge.

Majority strength by either faction on the council will determine the election of a new mayor, chosen by council members from among themselves. Barbara Ackermann, a CCA incumbent reelected to the Council last Tuesday, is expected to replace current mayor Albert A. Vellucci, unless a successful Russell recount reverses the present CCA majority.

Results of the school committee election released yesterday indicate the mayor will cast the deciding vote in the committee's decision on the retention of Frank E. Frisoli '35 as superintendent of Cambridge schools.

Election officials yesterday announced that independent candidates Donald A. Fantini, James F. Fitzgerald, Joseph E. Maynard, and CCA-endorsed candidates Peter G. Gesell. Charles M. Pierce and David A. Wylie will comprise the new committee, which convenes in January.

Frisoli's retention was the most controversial issue of the school campaign, and any action will now rest with the seventh member of the school committee--the mayor.

Frisoli, then acting superintendent, was appointed last year by the school committee, over the objections of the CCA and other organizations. They claimed no one outside the committee had been consulted in the appointment.

Frisoli's only hope lies in a successful recount