Puckmen Rip Boston College, 10-4

By Evan W. Thomas

Boston College played like the Pope had blessed it in the lockerroom before the opening round of the Beanpot, but the spell only lasted a period and a half. Ahead 3-2, the Eagles, finally began looking like the 8-13 team they are while Harvard was picking up where it left off against Princeton and scoring at will.

The result was a 10-4 win for the Crimson and the chance to play the nation's number one team, B. U., in the finals, Joe Cavanagh was the chief instigator of the rout, picking up two goals and three assists to set the Beanpot career scoring record with 18 points in three years.

Harvard's high scoring forwards took a while to find the range, however, and B. C. was flying from the opening face off. The Eagles jumped to a 2-0 lead before Cooch Owen's 30-footer and sophomore Jay Riley's lunging breakaway shot tied it up. B. C. quickly went ahead once more, but then the roof fell in.

Cavanagh started off the deluge, tipping in Owen's shot on the power play for his first goal. Dan DeMichele then gave the Crimson the lead for the first time all night on a freak goal; and Dave Hynes widened the gap to 5-3 with Harvard shorthanded.

The Crimson's long frustrated third line took over from there as Tommy Paul scored and Lief Rosenberger broke out of an endless drought, knocking in a Paul pass. With Harvard leading 7-3, the first line moved in to fatten up their scoring totals as Cayanagh, DeMichele, and Owen all picked up their second goals.

Harvard outshoot B. C. 55 to 18, but poor Harvard coverage and aggressive B. C. skating negated the lopsided statistics for half the game. The shooting finally began to tell, however, as the B. C. defense disintegrated and let the Crimson methodical passing work in for close shots on the Eagles' overworked goalie, Neil Higgins.