Green Tops Cagers, 94-86; Crimson Anchors Ivy Cellar

Crimson's Title Hopes Crushed

By Jonathan P. Carlson

Behind by one point with seven minutes left in the game, the Dartmouth basketball team went into a box-and-one zone defense to bottle up Harvard's Jim Fitzsimmons.

It worked so well that the Big Green ran eight straight points, and then held on to defeat the Crimson, 94-86, last night in the IAB.

The loss, Harvard's fourth in League play, crushed any hopes the squad had of winning or sharing the Ivy championship. Dartmouth, on the other hand, kept its hopes alive by evening its record at 2-2.

"Fitzsimmons put on one of the finest shooting exhibitions I have ever seen," Dartmouth head coach George Blaney said after the game. "But our box-and-one slowed him down and forced Harvard to shoot from the outside. That helped us move into the lead."

Fitzsimmons hit on 15-of-18 from the floor and two-of-two from the line, to pace the Crimson with 32 points. But Dartmouth's guard Bill Raynor controlled the tempo of the game.

With six minutes gone in the second half, Dartmouth's leading scorer, James Brown, fouled out, and the Crimson, down by six at the point, pushed its way into a temporary advantage, 72-70.

Then Raynor took over. He hit a jump shot from the line and converted two one-and-one situations to push his team into a 76-72 lead. He finished as the game's high scorer with 35 points, hitting 10-of-19 from the floor, and 15-of-15 from the line.

In the first half, Harvard and Dartmouth traded baskets until five minutes remained. Then the Big Green outscored the Crimson 13-3 and went into the locker room ahead, 45-36.

Floyd Lewis led the rebounders with 13 grabs, but Dartmouth, which gave up several inches per man underneath, held its own on the boards with Jim Masker, who led the way by adding 20 points.