Thinclads Face Terriers Tonight in Opening Tilt

By E. J. Dionne

The track team opens its season tonight against Boston University at the Bubble, and the Terriers aren't expected to afford the Crimson too much competition. The meet begins at 6 p.m.

"We should win it pretry handily," co-captain Bob Clayton said last night. "There will be a few close contests, but on the whole, B.U. just doesn't have the depth."

In one of the more interesting races, Harvard's Bailee Reid and B.U.'s Ford Dennis could make a battle of it in the 60-yard dash. Dennis could also be a factor in the broad jump, where he will face Harvard's Vin Vanderpool-Wallace.

The Terriers' John Sherry and Alan Carlack should provide still competition in the 1000. Making the race for Harvard will be co-captains John Quirk and Clayton, Jerre Hines and freshman Dirk Springate.

"In the practice, the coach worked us pretty hard considering it was the day before a meet," Reid said. "Essentially, we're looking at the B.U. meet as a tuneup. We're going to run it as hard as we can, of course but we're also looking past it toward the Army meet."

Harvard meets Army on Saturday in what should be the Crimson's first real test of the season.

"By and large we have too much depth for B.U." Clayton said. "In those areas where B.U. has one strong man, we have two or three who'll probably finish ahead of B.U.'s first."

Harvard should be especially strong in the pole vault, where Jim Kieiger is expected to continue his winning ways, and in the 35-pound weight where Jay Hughes is heavily favored.

John Quirk should have little trouble in the mile, and his cross country colleague Rick Rojas should have no problems in the two-mile. Clayton is favored in the 600.