Government for the People

By Dominick Christofaro

The one group in Cambridge that is not served by the city government is the people.

Developers, absentee landlords, the universities, the old-time politicians with their banking and real estate businesses, all thrive in Cambridge. They exploit the weakness of city government. They do so at the expense of the residents of the city.

Basic city services such as street cleaning, trash collection, police protection, recreation and housing code enforcement remain inadequate, while citizens pay soaring taxes. Planning by the city to retain jobs and industry, put the financing of city government on a sound footing, control highrise development or get truck traffic off residential streets, is almost non-existent.

Those in power in Cambridge resist change. Students and young people are prevented or discouraged from registering to vote. Old-time politicians exploit class prejudices to keep "Brattle Street" and blue collar residents from working together for reform. The universities by their real estate policies have slowed the growth of a stable, politically conscious community in Cambridgeport and Riverside.

However, the situation is far from dismal. Five (or more) firm reform voices on the City Council and an effective city manager could restore hope and progress in this city.

I am running because I believe my election could bring a new constituency into the reform coalition in Cambridge and provide the crucial fifth reform vote on the City Council. Blue collar residents of the city are tired of inaction in City Hall. They have become aware of the issues and want results.

I am a member of organized labor, and I have walked my share of picket lines. My involvement in the community is total and is a matter of record. I believe that many blue collar citizens think as I do, and their participation will make a strong and healthy reform coalition in Cambridge.

Following I have outlined my position on some of the more important problems I believe the new City Council will face:

City Manager--We must hire a new, effective city manager. The present manager is not doing the job. The city manager is chief executive and runs the city; without leadership from him no changes are possible.

Police--Police protection and police-community relations can be improved. The key is leadership in the police department. We do not have adequate leadership now. I would urge appointment of a capable civilian police commissioner--with citizen participation--and then support his recommendations for reforms.

Rent Control--I favor keeping rent control. I would urge steps to end administrative delays, better use of rent control to encourage routine maintenance and enforce codes, and an effective program of outreach to tenants and small landlords who may need help in seeking relief to which they are entitled.

Taxes--To stabilize the tax rate I believe we must drastically improve the efficiency of city government, start economic planning, adopt up-to-date budgeting methods, hold municipal salaries to cost of living increases (municipal salaries in Cambridge are among the highest in the state and comprise about 70 per cent of the city budget), give top priority to keeping existing industry, urge non-profit institutions to make greater in lieu of tax payments, and join other cities and towns to lobby for more favorable state aid and distribution formulas for urban areas, and for a greater commitment of help from the Federal government. The property tax is regressive and distorts all planning priorities. We must work to establish a progressive income tax as the main source of revenue to finance city government.

Development Pressures--Development pressures on our neighborhoods can be met in the short run by a city-wide restriction on the height and bulk of new buildings. For the long run, I would support the comprehensive planning and rezoning being undertaken by the Planning Department. Development pressures will ultimately subside only when the real estate industry recognizes that the city is firmly committed to moderate density and a liveable environment.

Kennedy Library--I believe the Library Corporation has not cooperated in good faith with the Harvard Square Task Force in examining the impact of the library and museum on the city. Since the weight of evidence suggests this impact will be extremely damaging, I believe the new City Council must find a means to have the complex built elsewhere.

Jobs--First priority must be given to keeping the jobs we now have. The city presently does nothing to retain industry--which should be less costly than attracting new industry. Beyond this, the city's new Office of Economic Development and Manpower should work with the School Department to provide job training for youths and adults that is aimed at both the present and prospective regional job market. Finally, careful planning will be required to see that Cambridge residents receive a major share of the jobs new industry may bring to the city.

Housing--The city should act to upgrade and enlarge the supply of housing for low- and middle-income families. As an important step in accomplishing this, the city should lobby for adequate Federal and state rent subsidy programs to allow these families to compete for existing housing. At the same time, the city should encourage subsidized and sweat equity home ownership programs to recapture existing housing stock from the investment market. (Sweat equity programs are proving successful in Cambridge, and do not require state or Federal subsidy. They should be our main housing effort during the current Federal housing moratorium.) The city should pursue code enforcement, but in a way designed to avoid dislocation of low- and middle-income families. The city should also prohibit conversions to smaller units, and should explore the potential for tax incentives for home ownership and improvement. New, scattered site housing has proven slow and difficult to build, but the city should continue to seek subsidy programs for this purpose.

Citizen Involvement--City government can do nothing if citizens do not care enough to get involved. However, city government can and should make opportunities for citizens to take part in decisions on hiring top personnel, for example, or in planning for neighborhood needs. I will urge that citizens be allowed to play a part in all important planning and decision-making.

Cambridge, I believe, has the talent and resources to provide a model of efficient government and to meet the needs of all its people. We must first elect five solid reform candidates to the City Council on November 6. Dominic H. Christofaro, a community leader in the Cambridgeport area, is a candidate for the City Council on the Cambridge Civic Association slate.

The Crimson welcomes contributions to the opinion page from readers. All pieces should be triple spaced and no longer than five pages. Any contribution should be sent to either Douglas Schoen or Mark Frazier, c/o Harvard Crimson, 14 Plympton St., Cambridge, Mass. 02138.