Cornell Overpowers Booters; Big Red Blanks Harvard, 3-0

Cornell shut out the Harvard soccer team, 3-0, last Saturday in Ithaca, N.Y., as the booters displayed the punchless offense that has haunted Crimson soccer dreams all season long.

The Crimson 11 dominated play up to the 12th minute of the first half, but did not dent the nets.

As a result of a foul, a direct kick was awarded to Cornell 30 yards away from the Harvard goal and Cornell halfback Joe Mui converted for Cornell.

Mui shot the ball while Crimson goalie Steve Kidder was lining up the wall of defensive players and before the referee close to the action had blown the whistle to start play. Kidder let the ball go by, fished it out of the net and threw it back to the referee, expecting another shot.

To the Crimson's surprise the second referee, behind the action, picked up the ball and placed it in the center signifying that a goal had been scored.

Harvard immediately protested, but the referee said that he had blown his whistle to open play and to Harvard's chagrin awarded the goal to Cornell.

The Crimson defense held up for the rest of the first half with Harvard fullback Brian Fearnett and Kidder stopping the Big Red time after time.

In the second half, however, Cornell managed to get two more goals. In the seventh minute of the second half Cornell halfback Kip Jordan broke away from the Crimson defense and scored on Kidder one-on-one.

Later in the second half Cornell was awarded a penalty kick which Mui converted to seal the win.

Harvard's record in the Ivies now stands at one and one with the next League game against Dartmouth this Friday on home turf.