A White Christmas?

By Kim G. Davis

Christmas 1973 may well be remembered as the time when fir trees were bought not for decoration, but for firewood. In a year highlighted by Watergate, war in the Middle East and the resignation of Vice-President Spiro T. Agnew, it is the ever-worsening energy crisis that holds the attention of most Americans. A world crisis has reached the shores of the United States, and no one is quite sure how to handle it.

The government has enacted several measures intended to curb fuel consumption. Reduced speed limits, cooler homes and less driving are a few effects that Americans are feeling. Most people, however, are responding slowly to the newly imposed restrictions of their everyday life. With a little patience and a lot of humor, the American public should be able to find a lighter and better side to the darkness presented by the energy shortage.

More people than usual will be spending Christmas at home this year. The shortage of gasoline compounded by the unavailability of airplane flights will drastically reduce visits to friends and relatives. Not having to support freeloading cousin Joes during the holidays may save families enough money to take that Easter vacation they have always wanted. If used correctly, the energy shortage may prove to be a boon in disguise.

When Edison invented the light bulb it was only a matter of time before somebody painted it red and green, hung it from a window and began the dubious practice of conspicuously and obnoxiously decorating things for the holiday season. Never does a December 25 pass without a series of long tirades from many sides concerning the evils of the commercialization of Christmas. Because of new state and federal regulations ornaments that use energy will be making fewer and shorter appearances this year. Though it may not be voluntary, 1973 will see a waning of suburbia's rat race to keep up with the myriad decorations the Joneses have. If nothing else, this season will be punctuated by a lack of conspicuous celebrating; perhaps a disguised call for the resurrection of that ever-elusive 'Christmas spirit.'

For the kiddies the culmination of the Yuletide season is the hysteria of opening presents during the early dawn of the 25th of December. For the parents the culmination of Christmas is early January when all those convenient layaway bills come due. The only vestige of spirit that seems to pervade Christmas these days is the joy of paying off the last charge account bill or seeing a toy actually last in one piece from one Christmas to the next.

The austerity of a scenario of cold nights, and higher gas, oil and electricity bills may force the energy shortage to assume a legacy that will be reflected this Christmas and for years to come.

Because of the world situation, both political and economic, the energy crisis will continue to be a threatening reality. The situation might be eased within the decade if prudent planning is undertaken now. However, the lesson for the American public is to learn how to live with not only the shortage, but its implications.

This Christmas, if we haven't already, we will learn that the United States is indeed vulnerable to world crises. The shortages are forcing us to reevaluate our priorities, a vital element in avoiding stagnation and apathy. If we endure the crisis without benefiting from the lessons to be drawn, we will lose both to the cold and to our own insatiable desire for an ever larger chunk of the world in our back yard.