Coaches Pick Starr, Blakinger For All-Ivy League Mat Team

By Richard H. P. sia

Explosive 190-pound grappler Richie Starr and 118-pound workhose Dan Blakinger were named by the seven Ivy League wrestling coaches to the 1973 All-Ivy team yesterday.

Starr, who dominated the Ivies, collected five wins and a draw in league action and compiled an overall 15-0-1 season record. The outgoing Crimson captain closed out his college wrestling career this year with a stunning 35-1-2 record.

Blakinger, captain-elect of the 1973-74 squad, went undefeated in the lvies and joined Starr as one of Harvard's winningest wrestlers this season with a 15-1 record.

"I'll bet these guys were unanimous choices for the team," Harvard coach John Lee said yesterday. "Starr and Blakinger are tough wrestlers. They really picked up wins when we needed them."

Harvard's Carl Biello copped the 134-pound spot on the All-Ivy second team. He finished the year with a 6-1-2 record, despite missing the first half of the season with a shoulder injury. "As long as he avoids injury, he'll be a contender for the Easterns [next year] at 134." Lee said.

Other members of the All-Ivy first team are Dave Groverman (126). Rick Bastian (177) and Ray Sarinelli (150), all of Penn; Eric Lubell (134) and Dennis underkoffler (142) of Princeton; Date Porter (158) and Dave Crawford (177) of Cornell; and Tim Karpoff (heavy) of Yale.

Princeton and Cornell tied for the Ivy title with 5-1 records. Harvard (1-5) placed sixth.