Attorney Completes A 10-Month Study Of Indian College

By Jefferson M. Flanders

Daniel B. Bickford, a special Massachusetts assistant attorney general, yesterday submitted his recommendations to the state attorney general's office concerning Harvard's obligations to Indian students.

Bickford's report involves the Indian College, a gift made to Harvard in the 1650's for the housing of Indian scholars. An Indian group at Harvard contends that the gift was a charitable trust, and that Harvard's use of the building was a breach of trust. They feel the University has an enforceable legal obligation to Indian students. The University does not agree.

Bickford's report ends one phase of the controversy over the case, which has continued for over a year. Bickford was appointed last spring by State Attorney General Robert H. Quinn to investigate Harvard trust involving Indians.

A spokesman for the attorney general said Bickford's report would probably be released to the public after Quinn had read it.

Quinn is empowered to enforce charitable trusts, and should he decide in favor of the Native American Student Association, the Indian group at Harvard, the case may go to court.

Counsels for the Indians say they are prepared to ask for maximum recovery of the original endowment for the building of the Indian College with simple interest. The original endowment has been estimated from between 120 and 400 pounds.

Alan MacDonald, assistant attorney general, said yesterday, "Dan Bickford has his own opinion and interpretation of the case," and added Quinn would review all the material from both sides before making a decision.

In late December, Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, rejected Bickford's proposal that Harvard initiate court action to determine whether a breach of trust existed.

Steiner stated that Harvard's law firm disagreed with Bickford's draft brief and memoranda on the case. Bickford's draft brief and memoranda appeared to support the Indian's contentions.