FBI Investigation

would not attempt to pass judgment on the educational format.

However, Neum and reported his faculty sources discovered facts which have since prompted a campus debate over whether or not the School of Education, has been functioning on a diploma mill."

Neumann's discoveries include;

*The School of Education his awarded 409 doctoral degrees in the last three years representing 45 per cent of all doctoral degrees awarded at the Ambenst campus. The School of Education contains only eight per cent of the university's graduate faculty.

*At least two students who entered the School of Education with only buchelors degrees earned doctoral degrees in less than a year without attending any formal courses.

*Some students received credit on their transcripts for course which they did not take. The most flagrant example reported involves '85 students who, in 1970, were given credit for two methods courses which were not offered that year. In an interview yesterday with The Crimson, Neumann said the Dean Allen told him that 'we forgot to teach those courses.

Allen could not be reached for comment yesterday. He is on sabbatical this year in Africa, where he is starting a teachers' college. He returned, to the United States briefly last month in order to resign his position.

During his seven-year tenure. Allen developed a national reputation in educational circies for innovation. In addition to pushing for a fast academic pace and academic credit for non academic experience emphasis on grading as a measure of learning and the use of non-confidential files and recommendations.

His interim successor, Earl Seidman, announced his own resignation after less than two weeks on the job. Gluckstern said Seidman's resignation was "not unrelated" to Allen's. Louis Fischer, a professor of education, was nominated yesterday by a six-member council of the education faculty to serve as acting dean for the remainder of the academic year.

Newpher said the FBI investigation will take "a minimum of a month."