Junior Varsity Skaters Rally To Edge the Elis and Eagles

The junior varsity skaters, displaying a new "last-minute," scored dramatic comeback victories over the Yale freshmen and the Boston College B team last weekend, winning both games by a one goal margin in the final thirty seconds of play.

The Crimson icemen defeated the Elis, 5-4; last Saturday at Watson Rink after nipping the Eagles, 7-6, at McHugh Forum the previous day Harvard's skaters have earned a 12-3-1 record, their only losses coming against Andover, the Atlantic Flames and the Budweiser Kings.

Peter Owen and captain Brad Wilson led Harvard to victory over Yale, with Owen collecting the game-winner on a rebound at 19:37 of the final period. Wilson had knotted the score with four minutes remaining by beating Eli goalie Rich Koziak on a shorthanded breakaway.

Yale opened the scoring early in the first period when Tim Grande tipped home a shot from the point. Harvard's Bill Hozack answered back before the period's close and Wayne George put the Crimson ahead in the second stanza.

Yale's Jim Macdonald tallied on a tip-in to even the score at 2-2, but with 30 seconds left in the middle period. Wilson collected his first goal of the night on a backhand lift. Macdonald scored again, however, on a power play with 15 minutes remaining in the final period to knot the game at 3-3.

Tying Tally

Grande gave Yale a one-goal lead midway through the stanza, and with just over four minutes remaining. Harvard received a penalty. Wilson picked up the typing goal by stealing the puck at his own blue line from a fallen Eli defenseman, Tom Jasinski.

Jasinski was called for cross-checking with 35 seconds left, and Owen scored the game-winner by slipping the puck past Koziak and under the outstretched arm of Yale captain Gordie Ullman, son of NHL star Norm Ullman.

Last Friday, Harvard rebounded back from a 6-4 third period deficit to overcome Boston College. Owen, Gray Holmes and Mike Leckie led the rally, with Leckie collecting the winning goal with only five seconds left.