Quick Affirmation For Quotas

CHUL

By James Cramer

Although Zeph Stewart, master of Lowell House, may have viewed his proposal to scrap the one-to-one ratio at the Quadrangle Houses as a simple resolution to provoke discussion of the housing issue, the new Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life representatives did not share his opinion.

Goaded by staunch House committee statements and remembering the harangue that followed when Stewart's resolution was passed and then rescinded last year, the CHUL buried the motion under an avalanche of votes, 23-6-3.

Stewart said last week that the CHUL may see the resolution reappear next year for discussion, but the overwhelming consensus against the proposal virtually insures that the matter will lay low, at least for several months.

Fireworks erupted at the end of the meeting, however, when Alan E. Heimert '49, master of Eliot House, brought up the issue of reinstituting a limited form of master's choice. Although he has now withdrawn the suggestion he proposed in the meeting, the CHUL will still convene Wednesday to talk about the issue of master's choice and other House criteria selection mechanisms.

Dean Whitlock said yesterday of the present system, "We're not worried about what is happening now, but it is not wrong to think about it."