Big Green

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

At the outset of this address, we must apologize for our delay in replying to Mr. Savit's article concerning Life at Dartmouth. The problem was this; some of Mr. Savit's words were so BIG, that we spent an eternity looking for someone who knew what they meant. We at Dartmouth's main campus in Hanover, N.H. (a small town in a small state north of Boston) were fortunate enough to have Mr. Savit's perceptive article reprinted in our school newspaper. We feel, however, that we must remark on Mr. Savit's lack of decorum and sensitivity in light of recent events at Dartmouth. Since the tragic loss to your powerful and ubiquitous squad of elegantly dressed winged warriors (we loved the pin-striped jersies and Brooks Brothers athletic undergarments), the entire freshman class has shaved their heads in mourning, the entire football team wore their pants at half-mast for a week, the two co-captains of our football team played a best two-out-of-three match of Russian Roulette, and perhaps most disturbing of all, the senior class has reinstituted the old Dartmouth tradition of sacrificing a virginal freshman before each game to appease the gods. Mr. Savit's article served only to make us aware of our inferiority and lack of social distinction.

However, we must congratulate Mr. Savit, who incidentally was seen cavorting with a recently deceased and rapidly decomposing barnyard critter (the mainstay of our milk industry), for his precise spelling and immaginative use of punctuation; and metaphor.

We were so depressed and heartbroken after the game, that we did not have the energy to cancel the bands and the parties. In other words, we were forced, inspite of ourselves, to have a good time. If we were depressed, then those Harvards who stayed in Hanover did not mind sharing in our depravity in those baleful dens of debauchery (fraternity houses). In fact, the Harvards did a good job in beating us in this, our own perverse game.

In closing, we ask Mr. Savit if he really thinks that that grey, overcast day which threatened rain was really a "beautiful autumn afternoon." Did you actually make it up to the game, Mr. Savit? Six Dartmouth students