Boycott Waffling

CRR

By David B. Hilder

Like snowball fights in the Yard that follow after the winter's first blizzard, the controversy over the student boycott of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities has become an annual rite.

The CRR has attempted a self-revival each of the last four years, but students have always decided to continue boycotting it because of objections to its composition and procedures.

This week, however, there was action on two CRR fronts. Both developments are setbacks for students who want to see the committee reformed.

First, the Freshmen Council voted to accept the results of a referendum last week in which freshmen voted by a narrow pluarlity to send representatives to serve on the CRR.

Later that day, a student on the committee that drafted CRR reform proposals last spring received a letter from Dean Rosovsky denying a request for an immediate meeting with the Faculty Council to discuss the suggested reforms.

Rosovsky said in the letter the Faculty Council would discuss the proposals later this year, but only after students had decided whether to boycott the CRR again and had formed a new ad hoc reform committee.

Meanwhile, the Freshman Council set January 13 as the day it will begin a selection process that resembles a Rube Goldberg creation.

A panel of 15 Yard freshmen will be drawn at random to decide whether it will nominate any of its numbers for duty on the CRR. The panel may nominate as many as five or none, and it will then be up to the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life to send one of those to the CRR.