Driving Woes Plague Linksters In Opening Tri-Meet of Spring

By Michael K. Savit

The Harvard golf team had a little trouble with its driving yesterday afternoon, and as a result, its scheduled tri-meet versus Boston College and Boston University had to be canceled.

It wasn't that the linksters were hooking or slicing their tee shots, because the clubs never made it out of the back seat of the 1975 Matador which was being used to transport half of the team to New Seabury Country Club on Cape Cod, the site of the scheduled match.

Instead, it was a shanked brake which caused Scott McNeely, Alex Vik, Randy Millen, and John Bartlett all of the trouble, as the foursome encountered an unexpected hazard (automobile) along the highway.

The ensuing two-car collision, outside of a shopping mall in Wareham, Mass., not only resulted in a two-stroke penalty for the linksters, but the semi-destruction, resulting in damages considerably more costly than a few packages of Titleists, of each automobile.

No one was injured in the collision, which was caused, according to Vik, by "an apologetic policeman who was supposed to be directing traffic, but who instead directed an accident." As for the team's golf clubs, they were also undamaged.

Yesterday's accident culminated a series of events which proved that if the Harvard golf team is to achieve any success this spring, it will have to work on its driving.

During the team's spring trip to Florida, one of its vehicles of transportation was stopped for speeding in Maryland on the way south, and on the way back home, this same car was arrested for reckless driving in Virginia, but was released from bail after convincing the arresting officer that he had learned his lesson.

During the team's spring trip to Florida, one of its vehicles of transportation was stopped for speeding in Maryland on the way south, and on the way back home, the driver of this same car was arrested for reckless driving in Virginia, but was released from bail after convincing the arresting officer that he had learned his lesson.

And then yesterday, before the accident, the linksters (in a different car and with a different driver than the one who wasn't gripping the steering wheel properly down south) were stopped for speeding and given a warning.

Following the accident, the linksters thought better of continuing on to New Seabury, and returned home to practice their tee shots. "We really didn't want to play after that," Vik said last night.

Fortunately, however, the iron and putting games haven't been adversely affected by the driving woes of the linksters, who aren't having trouble getting off the tee, but are having trouble getting there in the first place.