New Funds Sought For Athletic Site

By Bruce E. Ellerin

Administrators will probably have to seek operating and construction funds for the Soldiers Field Athletic Complex from other University sources, and delay the second phase of the drive to raise funds for the facility, because the current fund-raising effort has yielded only half of its $30 million goal, Thomas O'Brien, financial vice president, said yesterday.

The complex will provide new facilities for the University and give non-athletes unrestricted access to improved athletic facilities, David K. Smith '58, coordinator of the fund drive, said yesterday.

If Harvard cannot find the additional funds, the hours during which the complex is open for use may be reduced, O'Brien said.

Fancy Stuff

Phase I of the drive encompasses construction of a swimming pool, track, tennis, and women's locker facilities. The estimated cost of construction and endowment for this phase is $17 million.

Phase II will include the addition of a hockey arena/auditorium, a Varsity Club Alumni lounge complex, a gym, and a renovation of existing out-dated facilities. Except for $1 million specifically earmarked for the hockey complex, all money pledged to date will be used in Phase I.

The Phase I construction fund is currently lacking $3 million of the needed funding. The endowment fund drive, which would eventually generate about $300,000 in annual income and would pay to operate the facilities, has raised half of its $6.2 million goal. If Harvard cannot adequately endow the athletic project, the complex would have to operate at a loss, cut down services, or seek funding elsewhere, John P. Reardon '64, Director of Athletics, said yesterday.

Phase I will be completed by January, Alfred M. Gibbens, director of the Development Office, said yesterday, adding that the status of Phase II is uncertain.

Fundraisers are stepping up efforts to solicit contributions from alumni who were athletes as undergraduates, Smith said. To date, 1234 people have contributed to the drive.

President Bok and the Corporation have repeatedly stressed their commitment to the Soldier's Field project, Gibbens said. He added that although the University does not generally start construction without being assured of having sufficient funds, in this case Harvard "did go forward without all the money at hand.