Women Face Powerful UMass

N.E. Soccer Title at Stake

By Raj Marphatia

"We are the champions," they sang on the bus after winning the Ivy League women's soccer championship Saturday. Today the team with an 11-0 record gets a chance to sing that refrain again, as it hosts unbeaten UMass, whose record stands at 15-0-1, at Soldiers Field with the unofficial New England soccer title at stake.

Harvard's All-Ivy starting offense of Sue St. Louis, Julie Brynteson, Cat Ferrante, and Ellen Hart will have their cut out for them as they face a defense that has allowed just seven goals in 15 games. UMass goalie Diane Buckhout has registered a very impressive 11 shutouts this year, and the backs are led by senior co-captain Elaine Hole playing sweeper.

On defense, fullbacks Stefi Baum, Wendy Sands, Sal Kingsberg and goalies Barb Mahon and Marlene Schools will have their hands full trying to contain a team that has scored 62 (yes, 62) goals in 15 games.

The styles of the teams are very different. UMass prefers to play a ball-control type of offense, while Harvard chooses a more open, running game. UMass likes to keep the ball on the ground, and the Crimson prefers the air. While UMass is strongest down the middle. Harvard has a balanced offense.

Harvard coach Bob Scalise said yesterday, "We will try and beat them to the ball and thus force our style of play."

Psychologically, UMass definitely has the edge, as this is their last game and the high-point of their season. Harvard reached the peak of its season last Saturday when they won two games to clinch the Ivy League championship.

Black and Blue

Physically, Harvard is still recovering from the bumps and bruises of those two games, although everybody except centerback Gia Johnson, listed as doubtful, should be ready to play tomorrow.

Both teams have beaten their common opponents, usually by similar margins, but Harvard has shutout Brown twice while UMass tied them, 3-3. If it rains, a wet field will hurt UMass more since they rely heavily on their ground game, but most indications are that the game will be close.