Aquawomen Submerged, 81-50, In Another Disappointing Meet

The women's swim team succumbed to Dartmouth, 81-50, Saturday at Blodgett Pool in yet another disappointing episode in a thus far disappointing season. The Crimson has managed only one victory in six outings, although several of the swimmers have clocked personal best times in each meet.

High Spirits

"The spirit is good and times are good," Walsh added. "We just don't have the bodies to win."

Although the Crimson dropped Saturday's opening event, the 400-yd. medley relay, co-captain Maura Costin countered with a victory in the 400-yd. individual medley (5:02.44). Costin, threatened for only a short while in the freestyle by Dartmouth's Janet Dixon, led throughout the race. Julie McAree picked up a third and the visitors led, 10-6.

In the 200-yd. freestyle, Liz Adams and Emily Feldman, after trailing two Dart-mouth swimmers throughout the race, pulled ahead in the final 25 yards to place two and three, respectively.

The aquawomen closed the gap to five points as Adele Joel clocked a 1:11.36 to take first in the 100-yd. breaststroke, and Barbara Niles came in second (1:15.83) with her best time of the season.

Pam Stone, the only Crimson diver, then continued her winning ways with victories off the one-meter and three-meter boards. Although Stone won convincingly in both events, Harvard cut only one point off Dartmouth's lead. Diving coach John Walker said he is looking for "two more divers of Pam's caliber" to fill out the squad.

But in the last half of the meet the Crimson managed only two victories. Costin came through with a time of 2:22.31 in the 200 I.M. and Joel did an encore in the 200-yd. breaststroke (2:35.55).