Phills' Victory Paces Matmen

By Michelle D. Healy

A young and inexperienced squad of grapplers fought an impressive series of battles last night in a tri-meet at Boston University, following up an easy 42-4 win over beleaguered Plymouth State with an amazing last minute tie against the cross-town rival Terriers.

Only a major victory by the Crimson's dependable heavyweight Jim Phills saved the team from a loss. Phills' opponent, B.U.'s Walter Vaughn, looked too tired to put up a fight. The freshman waited patiently for Vaughn to falter and then fed him a steady diet of tie-up noves, waltzing away with an 18-6 win. "Jim fought a tough bout," co-captain Doug Mason said. "He used brains and pulled us out of the fire."

The Crimson's Mark Cooley returned from a brief retirement to shore up the team's defenses in the 190-lb. division. The tank-like junior wasted no time at all on the Terriers' Scott Greenbaum, pinning him in just 59 seconds.

In the Plymouth State meet, coach Johnny Lee sent in his newcomers; they returned the compliment with several key wins. The most pleasant surprise came on a first period pin by freshman 134-pounder Ed Gazvoda. Wes Carrion, Paul Rozk and Buck Burnaman all added key points with their first varsity wins.

Unfortunately, not all went well for the revamped squad. The big disappointment of the evening was the loss of another veteran. Mark Cocalis. The regular at 167-lbs. Cocalis had gamely moved down to 158 to fill the gap left after the loss of Mason. He suffered his own injury when B.U.'s Kevin Eagleton resorted to a brutal, twisting hammerlock. Eagleton was disqualified, but the real loss was Harvard's. Cocalis will spend the next few weeks recuperating from a dislocated shoulder.

"That move was uncalled for and illegal on top of that," Mason said last night after the meet. "Mark was already off the mat when he flipped his arm back across his shoulder."

The Crimson will return to the IAB for the first time this season when they face Wesleyan and Bridgeware at noon this Saturday.