Medical Professor To Be Master of Currier House

By Daniel A. Carroll

Dr. Howard S. Frazier, professor of Medicine, will become the master of Currier House on July 1, University officials announced yesterday. Lenore C. Frazier, his wife, will serve as co-master.

The Fraziers will succeed Barbara G. Rosenkrantz, professor of History of Science, and Paul S. Rosenkrantz, who have decided not to stay on at Currier House after their five-year appointment expires this summer.

"My reaction is one of great gratification and pleasure," Frazier, a member of the Currier House Senior Common Room for the past three years, said yesterday. "My wife and I enjoy young people very much; that part of our interest; in the job is purely selfish," he said.

"During the years we have been at the Medical School, the thing we have objected to most is the Charles River--it cuts us off from the undergraduate student body." Lenore Frazier said yesterday.

Rosenkrantz said she had decided not to stay on at Currier in order to spend more time on her own research and teaching. She said she is delighted with the choice of Frazier as her successor.

A committee of Currier House residents held open meetings in the House to discuss candidates for the past and met with the administration's selection committee.

"We're incredibly pleased. He was one of the people we recommended most highly," Harry J. D'Agostino '79, a member of the committee, said yesterday.

Matthew E. Fishman '80 another committee member, said yesterday, "He was on our final list of names, and the fact that he was picked shows that students did have some input in the decision."

Dean Fox, a member of the administration committee, said yesterday Frazier is known as an excellent teacher who works well with students. "Those were the qualities the House committee was looking for," Fox said.

The Fraziers both attended the University of Chicago and he completed his education at Harvard Medical school. He is the director of Harvard's Center for the Analysis of Health Practices and has served on the Administrative Board of the School of Public Health since 1975.

Environmental Concerns

Lenore Frazier has served as an elected member of the Winchester Town Meeting. She developed ecological programs for Winchester's elementary schools and started the town's recycling project.

The Fraziers have no immediate plans for Currier House yet, and plan to spend the next few months getting to know House residents.

"We'd like to have some fun, if that word hasn't gone out of style, to complement the studious environment," Lenore Frazier said