S. Africa Teach-Out Planned to Rally Student's Support

By Dayna L. Cunningham

Donald Woods, exiled South African editor and Neiman Fellow and Dennis Brutus, a South African poet and chief organizer of the international sports boycott against South Africa, will speak at a "Teach-Out" and rally today.

The rally, sponsored by the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC), will end in a march to President Bok's office where demonstrators will present petitions favoring divestiture signed by students and faculty. The protesters also plan to call for the renaming of the Engelhard Library at the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

"The rally is an educational event emphasizing both the people fighting apartheid and the methods they're using," Paul C. Clemans '82, an organizer of the 'Teach-out, said yesterday. The rally begins at 12:30 p.m. on the steps of Memorial Church.

Clemens said the speakers will point out the roles the United States government and Harvard play in supporting the apartheid regime.

SASC is also trying to make people aware that the fight against apartheid in this country is not restricted to college campuses. "This is the last day of the National Week of Action Against Apartheid," Jessica S. Banthin '81, another organizer, said. "We are going to focus on the fact that this is a national movement," she added.

Banthin said a speaker would also discuss the status of the Afro-American Studies Department to "connect the issues of racism at home and abroad."