Quakers Quake in Racquetmen's Wake

Victory Over Penn Virtually Assures Crimson National, Ivy Championship

By Laurence S.grafstein

The Quakers of Penn had their national championship hopes sink into the quagmire of Hemenway Gym Saturday, as the Crimson racquetmen bogged them down, 7-2.

The triumph leaves Yale as the only substantive barrier to a national and Ivy title for the Crimson-not quite as formidable as the talented teams the racquetmen upended the last two weekends.

Perhaps Saturday's win was more a surprise than an upset. As Harvard coach Dave Fish said yesterday, "Penn was really stunned. On paper, they thought they had the better team. But we acted like winners-everybody was impressive."

But Not Deep Enough

The Quakers possess depth, particularly at numbers five and six, but the Crimson's fifth-ranked Chip Robie played a steady power game to dispose of Philly native Peter Monaghan, and sixth-slotted Joe Somers edged Penn's Pat Murray in five tough games.

"Somers' win was the key, I think," Fish said. "He gave us a 3-1 lead instead of a 2-2 tie, and the important momentum."

Complementing the wins by sophomore Robie and junior Somers were five solid victories from the Crimson's seniors.

It is a tribute to Penn's number one Ned Edwards that he managed 11 points in both the first and the final games of his match with Crimson captain Mike Desaulniers. In the middle game, Desaulniers dispatched the country's number two college player, 15-4.

Edwards may be Desaulniers' toughest competition this year, but the two play squash on different planes. The Crimson captain's racquet control, quickness and remarkable volleys forced Edwards to lose his concentration.

As always, Desaulniers displayed an appropriate mixture of spirit and reserve as he humbled another inferior opponent.

Second-spotted George Bell breezed past an over-anxious Pat Canavan, 15-7, 15-7, 15-9. "I was ahead 2-0 last week [against Princeton] and lost, and I was determined to prevent a repetition of the same nightmare," Bell said afterwards.

Third-ranked senior John Stubbs also maintained complete control for an easy win. "It was sort of hard coming so soon after then Princeton match, which is very special. But we didn't let down, and all we have left is Yale,' Stubbs said after clinching the win.

Seniors Clark Bain at number seven and Bob Blake at number eight recorded victories as well. Bain jumped out to a 1-0 lead against Evan Hardie, then fell behind, 2-1, before rebounding to capture a 3-2 squeaker.

Freshman Gordie Lemmon, laboring under the effects of an illness, slugged the ball at Penn retriever Brian Roberts in the fourth-ranked match, but lost, 3-1.

Lemmon's power and hustle gave the gallery a few thrills, especially on one point where he made a diving backhand return, and scurried to his feet in time to hit a three-wall boast which barely glanced off the front wall and died.

THE NOTEBOOK: Crimson assistant coach Mark Panarese found himself in a situation of conflicting loyalties Saturday. His younger brother, Matt, played number nine for Penn. Everything turned out fine for Mark-Matt scored a tough win over John Dineen, but the Crimson won overall. Just points out the intimacy of the squash world.