Crimson Derails Engineers; Brown Wins Complete Game

By Bruce Schoenfeld

If you had to leave yesterday's Harvard-MIT baseball game for a few innings, you didn't miss much. One inning looked much like the next: the Crimson rapped out a few hits, maybe scored, maybe didn't. The Engineers didn't.

MIT finally managed to push across two runs on four hits in the ninth, but by then they made little difference, as Harvard coasted to a 5-2 victory in the final contest of its nine-game "homestand."

Greg Brown went the distance for the Crimson in his first start of the campaign, striking out five and walking four in an impressive effort. He entered the ninth having allowed only one hit--Steve Kosowsky's sharp one-hopper that glanced off his leg and up the middle in the second inning.

But the visitors spoiled Brown's one-hitter and shutout in the final frame when they amalgamated a solo homer and their only rally of the day and came up with two runs.

Otherwise it was all routine--what they call in Brown's hometown of Santa Ana a "mellow afternoon." Charlie Santos-Buch and Mark Bingham each belted two hits and drove home two runs. Danny Bowles, a first-time starter for the Crimson, chipped in two singles and made a nifty grab of a would-be triple in left field.

Bowles' catch provided most of the excitement for the scattered bunch of relatives and friends in the stands. With two out in the eighth. Tim Garverick smashed a line drive over everyone to left-center field. Bowles turned his back and ran, dove with arms outstretched and tumbled to the ground ball-in-glove

"I was kind of surprised that I got to it," Bowles said after the game. "It was hit pretty well, but I figured I'd make a stab at it. Since there were two outs, I dove and somehow came up with it."

The other defensive gem to earn applause from the gallery was a sparkling first-to-short-to-pitcher double play in the second.

Whirly Bird

First baseman Bingham speared a chopper, whirled and threw to Brad Bauer at short, and the Yardling made a perfect return throw to Brown covering first, nipping Ed Wilcox by a step.

THE NOTEBOOK: Faces in the crowd: Paula Bauer--seventh-grade sister of shortstop Brad--and her parents closed our a weekend of Harvard baseball by taking in yesterday's game. The Bauers return to Columbus, Ohio, today.... Harvard hockey coach Billy Cleary stopped by for a few innings to catch what he calls "my actual favorite sport." Cleary spoke optimistically about the incoming freshmen he expects to help the puck program.... The Crimson travels to Worcester, Mass., this afternoon to battle Holy Cross. Crusader fans (and anyone else who goes) will see baseball and basketball star Ronnie Perry play short-stop for Holy Cross. Perry will probably be drafted in both sports. at Soldiers Field MIT(2)  AB  R  H  BI Garverick--ss  4  0  0  0 Souter--2B  3  0  1  0 Noll--P  4  0  0  0 Nowiszewski--1B  4  1  1  1 Fordiani--3B  2  1  1  0 Kosowsky--CF  4  0  2  1 Preston--RF  3  0  0  0 Shapiro--LF  3  0  0  0 Wilcox--C  2  0  0  0 Totals  29  2  5  2 HARVARD (5) Bauer--SS  4  1  0  0 Pearce--3B  3  2  1  0 Santos-Buch--CF  3  0  2  2 Bingham--1B  3  1  2  2 Farrell--DH  3  0  0  0 Kelley--2B  4  0  0  0 Blood--RF  3  0  1  1 Bowles--LF  4  1  2  0 Wark--C  2  0  0  0 Totals  29  5  8  5

MIT(away)  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  2--2 HARVARD(home)  0  0  2  0  2  0  0  1  X--5

F--Fordiani. DP--Harvard (3). 2B--Kosowsky, Bingham. HR--Nowiszewski. SB--Fordiani, Santos--Buch, Bingham. HBP--Fordiani (by Brown).     IP  H  R  ER  BB  SO Noll (L)    8  8  5  5  4  3 Brown (W)    9  5  2  2  4  5