Nameless Coffeehouse Will Stay Open With Aid of Four Volunteer Managers

By Susan L. Donner

The Nameless Coffeehouse will remain a Cambridge tradition thanks to several volunteers from its audience.

The Church St. cafe, which has provided free music and snacks for 14 years, has found four people to form the new team of managers, replacing Dean Spencer '78, a third-year law student, who is leaving to write his thesis, and Lauren Walker '78.

"It's good that people will still be able to hear good music for free and musicians will still be able to play in a place where people will listen," Spencer said yesterday.

John Friedman, a first-year law student and one of the new managers, said that, when he first came to the Nameless, the music, warmth, and friendliness of the coffeehouse inspired him to volunteer his services.

The other three managers are Louisa Senior '81, Eileen Clegg-Carroll, an extension student, and Kim Roberts, a student at Emerson College.

No one anticipates any changes in the coffeehouse's informal, friendly atmosphere. Members of the audience will still serve, clean up, and put away equipment after performances.

Every weekend. 300 students, Square employees, professors, and Cambridge citizens visit the Nameless to sit back, drink hot cider, and listen to local entertainment. No musician is paid.

This tradition has continued since the Unitarian Church first provided the facilities for the coffeehouse during the Harvard riots in the late 1960's as a creative outlet for the student community.