Reagan, Back from Far East. Deems Visit Successful in Strengthening Defense Ties

WASHINGTON--President Reagon pronounced has visit to Japan and South Korea a success yesterday, saying that "America's partnerships are stronger and prospects for a more secure peace and prosperity are better today than a week ago."

Nearly 16 hours after he was cheered by an estimated 2 million flag waving people in Seoul while riding to the airport. Reagan arrived by helicopter on the White House South Lawn to a welcome by Vice President and Mrs. George Bush a military hand and about 200 government employees waving small American flags.

"It's great to be home," the president told them.

Accompanying Reagan and his wife Nancy, on their homeward flight on Air Force One were two Korean children who will undergo heart surgery in New York.

"Nancy thought one expression of America's friendship would be to help our two little Korean friends, Kil Woo Lee and Jt Sook Ahn, come over to the States," the president said.

"Agenda for Progress"

He said that in Tokyo. "We established an agenda for progress" on giving American business greater access to Japanese markets, expanding U.S. energy export cooperating more closely on defense technology and helping the U.S. auto industry recover from the recession.

No major breakthroughs were reached on trade problems during the 15.650-mile. 6 1/2 day Asian tour. Reagan said he was putting Bush in charge of a group to minor follow up action.

The president quoted Mike Mansfield. U.S. ambassador to Japan as saying that "the next century will be the century of the Pacific."

"And he's right" said Reagan "The East Asian and Pacific region is growing faster than any other region in the world."

DMZ

He said his visit Sunday to the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating North and South Korea was "one of the most unforgettable experiences in my life" Reagan was the first U.S. president to enter the DMZ.

"Being there teachers us that freedom is never free nor can it be purchased in one installment" the president said.