M*A*S*H Mourners Toast Show's End

Parties Feature Fatigues and Very Dry Martinis

By Jocelyn B.lamm

The television series M*A*S*H died last night, and all over campus students were making sure that it got a proper funeral.

In a Mather House tower room, redecorated as "the Swamp," a group of seniors impersonated the 4077th personnel and toasted the demise with champagne, martinis, and beer flowing form a homemade still.

"We're not sad at all," said David E. Powell '83. "We're glad the war is over."

Downstairs, in the Mather House T.V. room, many more costumed students gathered in front of the three sets placed around the room, drinking "green death" punch.

In Grays Hall, a group of freshmen combined the tribute to M*A*S*H on four T.V. sets with a birthday celebration by quaffing a "Korean version of the Scorpion Bowl."

And in Leverett, Currier, and Adams, House Committees invited freshmen to join them for the final episode of the 11-year-old T.V. series, in preparation for the upcoming housing lottery.

Nostalgic followers of Hawkeye, Trapper John, Hot Lips and the saga's other characters filled most House common rooms and plenty of dorm rooms, but in Lamont Library, Diane V. Espaldon '83 said she had too much worked to watch television.

"I'd really like to see it, but whenever I miss TV shows or movies I'd really like to see, I always realize after it's over that I won't die from missing it," she said, adding. "I'm sure I'll hear about it from almost anybody I ask."

Elena M. Hahn '85, also in Lamont reserved that if she didn't catch the end of the show, "I figure it's going to be rebroadcast next summer. Also I don't feel like crying."