Women Cagers Roll On, Crush Hartford by 35

By Jonathan Putnam

About all the Harvard women's basketball team has lost in Cambridge this season is a contact lens at the end of its second game.

But after several minutes of crawling gingerly around mid-court, the team eventually found that too.

The Crimson (now 4-1) remained unbeaten at home Saturday night with a record setting 84-49 trouncing of the University of Hartford before 100 fans at friendly Briggs Athletic Center.

Each of the 12 Harvard players played more than 10 minutes and all of them scored in aconsummate team effort which marked one of the squad's largest margins of victory since its 1975 72-7 victory over Newton College.

"I think it was very difficult to tell who our starters were," said an enthusiastic Crimson Coach Kathy Delancy Smith after the contest.

The Cantabs shot a team record 57-6 percent from the floor while surpassing the victory total of last year's 3-22 squad.

Harvard dominated the clash from the opening tap. Freshman Sharon Haye's usual hot start helped the hosts run off to an 11-0 lead before Hartford finally scored tour minutes into the game.

The teams traded baskets for the remainder of the first half. The Crimson got the better of exchange and grabbed a 18-21 halftime edge.

An all-around impressive display by Harvard in the second-half sealed the game led by the quick hands of Anne kelly (7 steals, 12 points), the Cantabs tan off a string of 23 unanswered points in the middle of the half to officially usher in garbage-time.

The Crimson shot a remarkable 75 percent (18-24) from the floor in the second-half on its way to the shooting record. The team's 84 points was its highest total in several years and only seven shy of its all-time high.

Hayes led all scorers with 16 points. She was followed by Kelly, Co-Captain Anna Collins (11) and point guard Barb Keffer (10).

Delaney Smith effectivly employed a full-court press throughout the game. "Their big kids are good," said the third-year coach. "We thought their weakness was in their guards."

Her strategy proved on target as Hartford committed 34 turnovers, largely due to a season-high 18 steals by Harvard.

Delaney Smith, who predicted a 500 season before the year began, remains optimistic about the rest of the campaign, saying that it the squad can "play at a consistent level," the squad could top 500.

"It would be quite an accomplishment just to go 500," she cautions.

Since the Crimson hasn't reached that magic plateau since 1978-79, her caution is well taken.

Harvard's next four games constitute the hardest part of its schedule. And Wednesday's hookup with Boston College (7:30, Briggs Athletic Center) promises to be the toughest of the year.

The Eagles, who beat the Crimson 78-42 last year, are one of the best teams in all of New England. AT least one follower of local college hoop predicts that, "It will be quite an accomplishment if Harvard stays within 30 points).

THE NOTEBOOK: Collins has now tallied in double-figures in all five games this year...Freshmen Hanya Bluestone and Mary Baldauf each played a season-high number of minutes...Keffer (5 of 6), Hayes (7 of 11). Kelly (5 of 7) and Collins (4 of 6) all had outstanding showing nights.

at Briggs Athletic Center

HARTFORD (49)--Davies, 4-3-11; Colette 0-0-0; Rice 1-0-2; Potter 0-0-0; Ringland 4-1-9; Whittler 3-2-8; Tremblay 3-1-7; Kaufman 1-0-2; Aquadro 0-0-0; Trott 1-1-3; Jackson 2-1-5; Sivilla 1-0-2; Kracmer 0-0-0; Totals 20-9-45.

HARVARD (84)--Keffer 5-0-10; Sugrue 1-0-2; Hayes 7-2-16; Brown 1-2-4; Collins 4-3-11; Joseph 3-1-7; Baldauf 0-3-3; Kelly 5-2-12; Cibotti 2-0-4; Chandler 2-2-0; Smith 3-0-6; Bluestone 1-1-3; Totals 34-16-84.

Halftime: Harvard, 38-21.