Racquetment Top Williams, Jernigan Returns to Lineup

By Benjamin R. Reder

It's tough to travel three hours to a match and then come right back," said Men's Assistant Squash Coach Steve Piltch. But the Racquetmen did just that yesterday, returning to Cambridge with an impressive 7-2 triumph over previously undefeated Williams.

The long trek to Williamstown had an effect on the Harvard players, as many of them lost their first games. But then the racquetmen settled down to business and disposed of the Ephmen, four of them winning in four games.

One of the highlights of the match was the confrontation between last year's national champion, Harvard's Kenton Jernigan, and Williams' All-American Greg Zaff. Zaff defeated Jernigan in a tournament last month, setting up the showdown in Williamstown. Jernigan, playing in his first match for the Crimson after a semester's absence, avenged last month's upset with a straight-set victory.

"It was a very, very well-played match," Piltch said, "and a good victory for us." Williams had reeled off 17 straight wins before running up against the Racquetmen.

"The match was particularly good from a sportsmanship point of view," said Assistant Coach Bill Austin. "The Williams coach said the sportsmanship and court behavior of the Harvard team were the best he's seen all season," added Austin.

The Racquetmen, now 6-0, return to action Tuesday, when they take on Tufts in the Hemenway Gym.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson is still without the services of number two player David Boyum, who is recovering from a wrist injury he suffered in a tournament last month.

Harvard 7, Williams 2

At Williamstown, Mass

Kenton Jernigan(H) d. Greg Zaff, 3-0; Tom Harity(W) d. Jim Lubowitz, 3-1; Richard Jackson(H) d. Billy Now, 3-0; Spencer Brog(H) d. Jamie King, 3-1; Peter Dinneen(H) d. Doug Robie, 3-1; Ben Thompson(W) d. David Segal, 3-2; Mike Mack(H) d.B.Little, 3-1; Joe Dowling(H) d. Peter Doucette, 3-0; Kevin Jernigan(H) d. Sam Fortinbaugh, 3-1.