Cambridge to Seek Sister City Relationship With Soviet Town

Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei A. Gromyko and Secretary of State George P. Schultz won't participate, and Cambridge representatives probably won't ever make it to the bargaining tables in Geneva, but local politicians are preparing to send a peace delegation of their own to the Soviet Union.

Cambridge Mayor Leonard J. Russell announced Monday night that the City will apply to Sister Cities International for the purpose of setting up a sister city relationship in the Soviet Union.

Russell and the City Council ordered the City's peace commission to begin assembling a group of municipal officials and other Cantabridgians to negotiate some sort of international exchange program with Soviet authorities.

The original concept of establishing a twin city in the Soviet Union was unanimously approved by the City Council in 1981 with the intent to create "an enhanced sense of shared values" through cultural interaction.

"American and Soviet citizens have many differences to discuss," Russell told the city council last night, adding. "These differences can be the sparks that ignite a war, or they can be the groundwork upon which we will build a peace by increasing understanding of each other's values, history and visions for the future."

"If peace is ever to come to this country and the Soviet Union, it's not going to come as a result of arms negotiations," said City Councilor David E. Sullivan, "but as a result of a better understanding between the two peoples."

Peace-maker

"Cambridge is well known for its efforts to secure peace within our community as well as internationally," the first-term mayor said in a prepared statement to the council.

Past peace-related activism sponsored by the City has included the publication of a 1981 booklet. Cambridge and Nuclear Weapons: Where Can We Hide? and the adoption of Ordinance No. 987 establishing the Cambridge Commission on Nuclear Disarmament.

Six other major U. S. cities have, linked up with Minsk, Odessa, Murmansk, Nakhodka, Baku and Tashkent in the U. s. S. R.

Now as he had been selected lot