Some questions often asked in interviews

By John Noble

Here are some questions that are frequently asked in interviews. It's good to think about your answers to such questions in advance. But don't memorize replies.

What are you weaknesses? Everyone has weaknesses, so if you profess to have none, the interviewer will doubt your self-understanding. Don't catalogue your weaknesses, though--state one or two briefly and as positively as possible. For example: "Since I am meticulous about details, I usually work right up until a deadline proofreading my work until I'm completely satsified." Do not waste time apologizing or making excuses. Turn the professed weakness into a strength.

Do you plan to go back to graduate school? Many employers realize that Harvard graduates often plan to attend graduate school. You must convince them of your readiness to make a commitment to their organization. Understandably, they're less than happy about spending large sums of money training people who plan to leave at the end of the training program. You might also say that you would hope to do graduate school part time while you continue your job, if this is in fact the case.

Are you interviewing with other companies? Some interviewers ask this question to determine whether you are genuinely interested in the industry. So be very straightforward about mentioning interviews with other companies in the same industry. But use discretion if you're interviewing in a variety of totally unrelated industries, like banking, journalism, and retailing.

What do you plan to be doing in 10 years? Interviewers will ask this question to feel out your ambition, your goals, your ability, your desire to think in terms of the future, and how well you understand the structure of the particular industry. As much as possible, try to relate your career goals to the company with which you're interviewing.

Have you ever worked for someone you consider incompetent? This is a loaded question! In a question about your previous employment, avoid making disparaging remarks about a former boss. Your interviewer, especially if he or she is to be your supervisor, will be justifiably concerned that you will be as critical of him or her.

Other frequently asked questions: Why would you like to work for this company? Why did you pick your concentration?

What personal characteristics do you have that make you think you will be successful in your chosen field? What are your work habits? What is your grade point average (GPA), and does it accurately reflect your ability? Why do you want to make a career change at this point in your life? If you had to do it all over again would you earn a Ph.D.?

Questions an interviewer should not ask: An interviewer should not ask you questions which are not job-related. It is illegal to ask questions about age; social, religious, or political preferences; ethnic background; national origin; sex; or arrest record. Questions about marital status or family plans are not usually asked and are illegal in some states.

If you find yourself in an interview that presents a difficult and possibly illegal question, try to avoid answering directly. For example, "Do you plan to have children in the next few years?" A good answer might be: "I'm not sure of my plans at this point, but I'm sure, whatever they turn out to be, they will not affect my ability to perform my job. Are there specific requirements of this job that would make family planning difficult?"

If an interviewer asks you any possibly illegal questions, tell one of the counselers at OCS after the interview.