Model U.N. Begins

More than 100 students from local high schools yesterday converged on Harvard to try their hands at international negotiation as part of the second annual Model United Nations Day.

Twenty Harvard undergraduates had worked for several hours a day since the beginning of the semester to prepare for the conference which gave 122 high schoolers a chance to discuss a wide range of issues relating to South Africa and Nicaragua, said Grace Won '89, the program's coordinator.

The event is considerably smaller than the three-day Model U.N., which is held at Harvard in December. Consisting of three mock Security Councils, the Model United Nations Day allows discussion of South Africa and Nicaragua in an attempt to "give experience in Model United Nations to students who either couldn't afford to come to the larger conferences or who don't have the experience to feel comfortable with bigger groups," said David Araten '87, president of the Harvard International Relations Council, the non-partisan political forum which sponsored the conference.

The conference, held on the 41st anniversary of the UN's founding, doubled in attendance from last year, according to the 20 student organizers.

Organizers said they recruited participants from 10 local high schools, conducted tutorials for the participants, and presided over yesterday's security council sessions.