Time Selects Top 100 Juniors

One Harvard Student in Top 20, Six Listed Among Top 100

By Macla Follette

Rolling Stone selects the top 100 records, The Associated Press selects the top 20 college basketball teams and now Time Magazine has selected the top 100 college juniors in the nation.

Time has named six Harvard students to the list, one of whom received an award of $3000 for being one of the top 20 students in the country.

David E. Ellen '86-'87 was deemed among the top 20 students and M. Elisabeth Bentel '87, Lisa A. Cody '87, Amy R. Dockser '87, Charles L. Proudfit '87, and Katrina C. Roberts '87 were listed among the top 100 students.

Time selected its 100 finalists with the help of judges from the Washington-based Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, an organization devoted to furthering opportunities for college undergraduates.

The judges selected students who showed academic prowess and demonstrated excellence in extra-curricular activities, said Steven Cohen, Time's public affairs manager.

"We were looking for a combination of things," said Cohen. "But mostly we were looking for excellence. We were looking for excellence both within the classroom, and outside of it."

More than 750 applicants for the 100 spots submitted a resume, a short essay, and three recommendations from faculty members.

Ellen, who was the top Harvard student on the list, co-founded a private firm to increase the role of the home computer in education. Cambridge TeleTeaching, Ellen's company, recently received a $600,000 grant from the Annenberg Foundation to continue its research.

The Currier House resident said that one of the objectives of his firm is to create a system for teachers and students to conduct classes in their respective homes by using their home computers and a voice modem.

"This project is really at the frontier of education technology. If it works, it really will improve people's access to education," said Ellen.

Ellen teaches a Calculus class at the extension school, and was the head teaching fellow of the Quantitative Reasoning Class.

The 100 students have been invited to attend a dinner in their honor at the World Trade Center in New York, and will receive first consideration in interships for jobs at IBM, American Express, Ford, and Proctor and Gamble, Time public relations officials said.

The other top 20 students included a former army paratrooper who founded a student organization to combat student alcoholism and drunk driving, the managing editor of the Yale Daily News, and a 40-year old woman who works forty hours a week in a laboratory and is a step-mother of four.