Clemson Coach to Head Women's Tennis Team

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The assistant coach of the National-Powerhouse Clemson Tigers was named head coach of the Harvard womens' tennis team this week.

The 26-year-old Edgar Krass succeeds Don Usher who retired at the end of the season after being head coach for five years. Before he went to Clemson in 1984, Krass coached at his alma mater, Central Florida, during the 1982-83 season, guiding the unranked men's tennis team to a sixth place ranking in division two.

At Clemson, Krass served as top assistant coach and helped lead the team to fifth place national rankings. Four of his players were named All-Americans and three of them finished among the top fifteen players in the country.

"Ed was an outstanding assistant coach," Head Coach Chuck Kriese of Clemson said, "He is the best on-court coach I've had as far as training and developing players into championship caliber. He's had experience against top teams. I feel he will do an excellent job."

With Usher as coach, the Crimson won the last three Ivy League Championships and also qualified for three consecutive NCAA berths.